This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Pay For Best Features is NOT Open Source

Oct 7, 2015 at 2:56 PM
I just wanted to say that I'm disappointed in what you're doing. Open Source software has never been about sell premium versions...especially not for better controls. It's about contributing to the community. All the community edition does is make you realize the tools worth having will cost you $199, minimum.

I hope this isn't a new trend. If you want to sell software, pay for your own website, this isn't the place.
Coordinator
Oct 7, 2015 at 3:52 PM
Edited Oct 7, 2015 at 4:03 PM
You (and anybody else) can fork this project and try work on improving the controls. The license is MSPL. If you do a good job, this page will be irrelevant. Meanwhile, we have a couple of new versions of the Community Edition in the pipeline for the next few months. Funded by those that are paying for the developers to work on the Plus Edition. Most of the work is correcting issues and improvements, most of which trickle down to the Community Edition a couple of revisions later. Let the best project (or system of making sure it continues to evolve nicely) win.
Oct 8, 2015 at 9:42 AM
I would agree with the first statement. However, I believe you have a misunderstanding about open source as that has nothing to do with premium features of software. Open Source just means that the sources are freely available for you to be able to do with as the license allows for that code. Some licenses are restrictive, and some, like the one used here, actually allows you to derive your own work.

That said, not all features are always available. Just take a look at MySQL even before it was bought and then a new open source version forked. Visual Studio is closed source and free, with premium features that are payable.

Premium features are just that, premium features. The best of what is on offer at a price (a premium). They apply to any software whether closed or open.

The difference being that with open source, you have the choice to implement those features yourself as you have the source. Just this week, I have implemented features into three separate open source projects that didn't exist, were bugged or where 'premium' features. I could release that code and offer it out to people for free or, if the license from the original source allows, I could choose to charge people for my work it.

Most closed source software doesn't allow this at all because they even include statements in their license about no reverse engineering which means unless they support plugins, you can't really extend the base software.
Marked as answer by Xceed on 10/8/2015 at 6:32 AM