This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

When did this project get taken over by xceed?

Mar 26, 2012 at 10:26 PM

When and for what reasons did this project get taken over by xceed? I see no mention of the change anywhere.

Editor
Mar 27, 2012 at 2:04 PM

A few weeks ago. We are continuing the development of this open source project, fixing bugs, updating documentation, adding new controls, answering questions. Enjoy. If you have any concerns, email me at odi@xceed.com. Now to get back to publishing v1.6.

Mar 27, 2012 at 3:22 PM

I'm glad to see you stress the open source aspect of this framework. That said, a lot of people have contributed to this project (myself included), and I think it would be both courteous and appropriate to at least post a mention of the change in stewardship to the front page along with Xceed's intentions for this framework.

Mar 28, 2012 at 10:56 AM

And more importantly, mention a disappointing change of license from MsPL to MsRL.

BTW project license page still shows MsPL even though new file headers point there claiming it's MsRL.

Mar 28, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Brian Lagunas, the owner of the project was hired by Infragistics, so he handled the control to Xceed, to avoid the dead of the project, since he can no longer work on it.

http://brianlagunas.com/2012/02/22/extended-wpf-toolkit-is-getting-a-new-owner/

Mar 28, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Personally I'm not sure that handing an open source project over to a for-profit company is the best way to ensure its survival, but that said, the MS-RL is actually a very broad license that allows for derivative works with license changes, so there really is nothing stopping a future forking if desired by the users. Hopefully Xceed's new role will bring positive momentum! 

Editor
Mar 28, 2012 at 7:34 PM

All noted.

- Will mention the change in stewardship on the front page.

- Will change back the license from MsRL to MsPL. After further consideration, MsPL will do.

Please continue to put requests here, our goal is to make this toolkit thrive. Actually, once all the header files have been changed to MsPL, I think we're ready for the update.

Mar 28, 2012 at 8:02 PM

@achanlon

Indeed, MsRL is not so bad. I got confused by "This program can be provided to you by Xceed Software Inc. under a proprietary commercial license agreement for use in non-Open Source projects" and thought it must be something viral like GPL. But it's always more convenient to have completely "free" license and not having to worry about compliance. Also, MsPL/MIT-like licenses seem to be much more popular in .NET circles.

@Kosmatos

Perhaps you could switch to Mercurial :-)

I've tried cloning repository using every way I could think of (hg-svn, hg-convert, git-svn, svnsync) but it seems that tfs2svn gateway is just too broken and fails every time ;(

var k = (object)(kv as dynamic).Key;
            var v = (object)(kv as dynamic).Value;
Editor
Mar 28, 2012 at 8:52 PM

What about Git? I hear so many good things about it, and now it is supported on Codeplex. 

Mar 28, 2012 at 8:54 PM

I second the use of Git; though mercurial is often said to have easier integration with VS.

Mar 28, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Git is even better :) I didn't know that Codeplex supports git. They are both quite similar though and anything would be better than broken pseudo-svn.

Mar 28, 2012 at 9:30 PM
Edited Mar 28, 2012 at 9:30 PM

@achanlon

I'm using VisualHG at work and it somewhat sucks. It slows down entire VS until you change default options and lacks important features like blame/annotate current line (can be easily added with a macro that invokes thg blame) and it clutters already overcrowded context menu. Having said that, it's still useful as it records file operations in mercurial, saving you a couple extra clicks during commit. Everyone I know, myself included, does actual interaction with hg and git outside VS.