This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Always visible FormatBar

Sep 22, 2011 at 7:34 AM
Edited Sep 22, 2011 at 7:34 AM

The RichtextBoxFormatBar is great but, can't we just use this formatbar like an always-visible control above the RichTextBox?

Sep 22, 2011 at 3:10 PM
Edited Sep 22, 2011 at 3:11 PM

Sure if you want to.  Although it may not look like it belongs there since it was designed as a contextual menu.  You may consider just writing your own:

http://elegantcode.com/2010/10/26/create-your-own-format-bar-for-the-wpf-richtextbox/

Sep 22, 2011 at 3:17 PM

Thanks but, the look&feel is not my primary concern, so when i tried to put the formatbar outside of richtextbox, it throwed error on design, and could not compile. any ideas how to use it without formatbarmanager ? (outside of richtextbox)

Sep 22, 2011 at 3:27 PM

You will need to do something like this: 

<extToolkit:RichTextBoxFormatBar Target="{Binding ElementName=_rtb}" />
    <RichTextBox x:Name="_rtb"  />

Keep in mind that this contorl was not meant to be used as a stand alone control.  I do not believe it will behave as you expect it to.  Specifically updating the button states when selecting different text.  I don't think this will work because the control was meant to be used in combination with the RichTextBoxFormatBarManager class which cooridnates that behavior.