This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Should I include updated DataVisualization (Charting) controls?

Nov 12, 2010 at 4:31 PM

So I have a question for my users.  I have been struggling with the idea of adding Microsofts WPF DataVisualization Charting controls.  Now these are the exact same controls tha are already in Microsoft's WPF Toolkit, except they are updated and have the new Stacked Series controls.  Now, I have no idea when these updated charting controls will be released through Microsoft's WPF toolkit, but they eventually will be.

My quesion to you: Should I include the updated charting controls in my toolkit project, or leave that to Microsoft?

My major concern: I don't want to support them.  If I add them, people will assume I support them, and then all bug requests to come to me, and I will be expected to respond or fix them.

Please provide your feedback.

Nov 14, 2010 at 3:00 PM

I would be nice to have updated controls from the current versions in wpf and there are a few things that I would like to see in these controls, but I do understand your issue around the support and bug of it.

I honestly think that you answered your own question when you said that you do not want to support it. Another option you can look at would be to include it and when Microsoft do updates theirs - if ever - then you can just exclude it from you project.

Nov 16, 2010 at 9:01 PM

This question tells me you have too much freetime :P

Seriously, I think many of your controls still have minor bugs like Infra and DX has too using them everyday...

I would focus on your existing controls to bring them into a very stable state.

Then I would complete the documentation.

Only then I would reach out for new things whatever they are.

My favorites are a new wpf richtextbox which screams for speed... Most people do not care for a FlowDocument. They just want RTF not more.

Another fav is a pivot control yeah I know thats a huge thing I know the DX XPF source code which comprises all your extended toolkit sourcecode.

Well just if you feel bored... ;-)  

But what I like most about open source controls is to learn from them :-)