This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Localization of wpf toolkit controls?

Apr 29, 2014 at 9:20 AM
I'm wonder is there any way to change language of some text in controls. For instance:
  • word "Search" in Property grid
  • Tooltips and contex menus in Avalon Dock
Developer
Apr 29, 2014 at 2:21 PM
Hi,

This feature is not implemented yet. Please vote for it. Here is an issue refering to it :
https://wpftoolkit.codeplex.com/workitem/19306
Developer
May 6, 2014 at 3:41 PM
Hi,

In AvalonDock, there are already Resources file for localization. You can find them in Xceed.Wpf.AvalonDock/Properties/Resources.XX.resx.
11 resx files are available for 11 differents languages. If you don't like the current term used, you can change them in those files.
The correct file will be automatically chosen depending on the language that your system is set to.
May 6, 2014 at 4:56 PM
Ok - I see this resources. Unfortunnatelly there is no Polish (Pl-pl) – I will prepare it myself.
May 6, 2014 at 8:08 PM
This is strange but resources are not loading – firstly I want to add my language resources and it not worked. Then I was tried to use another existing language for test – I have set current thread culture and xaml language to german (“de”) and it also don’t work. However Fluent Ribbon is changed to German after my changes and before it works with my pl-Pl setting?
Developer
May 7, 2014 at 1:04 PM
Hi,

Here's what I did.
1) Change the application UI Language to french. In App.xamlcs :
  public partial class App : Application
  {
    protected override void OnStartup( StartupEventArgs e )
    {
      Thread.CurrentThread.CurrentUICulture = new System.Globalization.CultureInfo("FR-fr");
      base.OnStartup( e );
    }
  }
Result : AvalonDock now uses the Resources.fr.resx file to translate English text. in french.

2) Add the Polish resource file. In VisualStudio, fromXceed.Wpf.AvalonDock.Properties folder, make a copy of "Resources.fr.resx" file and named it "Resources.pl.resx".
In this file, change the Value of each names.

3) Change the language to "pl-PL" like in 1). Rebuild and AvalonDock now uses the polish resources file.
May 7, 2014 at 3:27 PM
It is something tricky in my project - your solution don't work but in another it is working. Tnx for help - i will search what is going on in my solution.
May 7, 2014 at 9:33 PM
Now I know why I have a problem – I was doing everything right from the beginning just like You describe but it turns out that when using compiled version of AvalonDock from nugget I can change language but when I’m compiling sources even without any changes and use this dll I can’t change language. I don’t know what is the magic behind this ;)
Developer
Sep 23, 2014 at 1:30 PM
The word "Search" in the PropertyGrid can be changed with the property PropertyGrid.FilterWatermark.