This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

richtextbox in chat app

Aug 30, 2011 at 3:08 PM

hi everyone

i‘m working on an IM project using xmpp protocol (c# & wpf & prism 4 & mvvm), currently i need some help on the chat window to input some rich text and show the income messages 

1 what is the best practice to implement rich text (i decided  to use the extended wpf toolkit rich textbox and the edit command in rtb),but what kind of format should i choose: rtf xaml or html ?

2 should i send the document object or the Text property in extended wpf toolkit rich textbox

3 is there any solution for rich textbox for  drag drop or inserting  images & emotions  ?

if anyone had experience on  chat app or rich text ,i need your advice

tks

Aug 31, 2011 at 2:38 AM

The format is comepletely up to you and the needs of your application.  I personally lean towards RTF.  I would not send a document.  I would just send the formatted text.  To handle parsing emotions you can either add a hanlder for one of the numerous key/text events such as textchenaged and parse the text accordingly.  Keep in mind that you will need to find a solution for handling the images.  You may decide to convert them to binary and pass them in your message.  Good luck.