This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

CollectionEditorDialog

Aug 11, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Great control idea!!

Are there any samples on using this control?  I am specifically looking for how to get the add button working (along with the dropdown) and how to set the template for the list box so instead of showing the object type, it shows something a little more friendly (like a name or combination of properties).

Aug 11, 2011 at 8:49 PM

There are no samples or docs yet.  First you should set the ItemsSourceType and the ItemsSource.  The CollectionEditorDialog isn't very feature rich right now because I wasn't sure how people would use it.  Right now as it exists, it will automatically guess what type of objects to populate the Add dropdown with based on the ItemsSource.  of course if the ItemsSource is null, the combobox would be null as well.  That probably shouldn't happen and be fixed in the control.  If you need control of the combobox then I suggest creating your own dialog window and using the CollectionEditor control directly.  That allows you to Set the ItemsSource, ItemsSourceType, and the NewItemTypes (the collection of types fo the add combobox).

Currently there is no way to provide a custom display template for the add combobox items or the list of items in the ListBox.  This is great feedback and I will be sure to add these features to the control.

Aug 15, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Thanks for the response.  I tried setting the ItemSourceType and the "Add Item" combo box still didn't get populated.  I'll try using the underlying control and let you know.

Couple of other thoughts for usage

• A way to invoke the dialog via commands directly in WPF
  • Expose templates for add item combobox and item list combobox (or at maybe an ItemStringFormat concept)
  • Abilify to add "help" information for each item in the property editor (maybe via attributes?)
  • A way to set validation rules for each item in the property editor (maybe via attributes?)

And thanks again for the very well done toolkit...

Aug 15, 2011 at 4:39 PM

To clarify, the ItemsSourceType will not populate the "Add Item" combobox.  The NewItemTypes property is not available in the CollectionEditorDialog control only the CollectionEditor.

Aug 15, 2011 at 11:22 PM

That makes sense -- thanks for the confirmation.

Jan 30, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Hit that discussion while trying to add multiple types to the 'Add' combobox on the CollectionEditorDialog - I understand it wasn't supported at the time that question was first raised, and I wonder whether is there any news on that (or in other words:-): how can I have multiple types on the 'Add' combobox of CollectionEditorDialog ?)

Thanks,

--Eran

Developer
Jan 31, 2013 at 7:31 PM
The "NewItemTypesAttribute" should be available in the v2.0 version of the toolkit. This will make you have multiple types on the "Add" comboBox of the CollectionEditorDialog.
Feb 3, 2013 at 9:27 AM
Is there any ETA for the v2.0 release? If it's not too far, I'll re-prioritize my tasks and wait for it, otherwise I'll probably have to write it myself...

Thanks,
--Eran
Editor
Feb 4, 2013 at 12:55 PM
No ETA yet.