This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Allow design time visualization of ChildWindow when XAML has focus

Jun 23, 2011 at 1:30 PM

I'm not sure how difficult it would be but it would be extremely useful if the ChildWindow worked a bit like the TabItems witin a TabControl in that they can be visualized even if not set as visible through the Visibility property by just placing the cursor inside of the related XAML code. Normally withe the TabControl this allows a developer/designer to edit each TabItem by simple setting focus within the XAML editor.

Jun 23, 2011 at 2:29 PM

I am not sure this can be accomplished with the ChildWindow. A tab control is an ItemsControl that has a single active content based on the selected tab. The ChildWindow is a content control, and I am assuming that you have multiple ChildControls stacked on top of each other.  It is the same as if you were to stack multiple button controls on top of each other, if you were to click the one on the bottom it would not be visualized in the designer due to the other topmost controls.

Jun 23, 2011 at 4:53 PM
Edited Jun 24, 2011 at 3:14 PM

I'm working on my own ChildWindow like implementation that actually uses a TabControl like technique in that it holds multiple child windows that can be z-ordered according to the order in which they are shown. I'm planning on ride sharing off of the same automation/designer benefit that TabControl has for it's items this way. If I find that the technique is applicable to non-ItemsControls then I'll try to remember to get back with you.