This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

BusyIndicator works in design but not runtime

May 8, 2011 at 6:15 PM

I'm having trouble getting the BusyIndicator to work properly. I have defined two properties within my ViewModel (IsBusy as boolean and BusyContent as string). The corrseponding properties of the BusyIndicator are databound to my ViewModel properties When I set the backing variable of IsBusy (i.e. _isBusy ) to true, the BusyIndicator shows in Cider along with the BusyContent. When I run the application and my code toggles the IsBusy property in my ViewModel nothing seems to happen. The BusyIndicator does not show at all. There are no messges in the Output window and data binding is working properly for all of the other controls in the View. I'm stumped. Any ideas?

May 9, 2011 at 1:00 PM

I found the problem. The long running process I have was running on the main thread. Running this process on the BackgroungWorker thread allows the busy indicator to display properly.

May 9, 2011 at 1:19 PM

I am glad you found your problem.  I was just about to start investigating your issue.

May 9, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Yeah, sometimes you look to hard for a problem and ignore the obvious. Still, this might be something you want to add to the documentation. I know when I ran into the problem it was after a long day of coding and debugging and my brain was mush. It would have been nice to read about this somewhere. BTW, great product and great effort.