Too Slow

Feb 14, 2011 at 3:49 PM

Hi,

I just tried RichTextBOx supplied with the extended toolkit and I found it very slow.

I got a project which is MVVM based with one view and corrosponding viewmodel. If i type in this new richtextbox then it takes a while for a text to appear in the text box. With normal richtextbox it works all right.

Any idea?

Feb 14, 2011 at 4:09 PM

The only time you will see a perf hit is when the source of the Text property binding is updated and that only occurs when the RTB loses focus.  If you are using the UpdateSourceTrigger="PropertyChanged" in your binding then yes, you will see a slight perf hit, but not as bad as you are describing.  This is because the source of the Text property will be updated everytime a new character is typed.  If you are not using the UpdateSourceTrigger then there should be no difference.  As you probably already know, that RTB in the toolkit just extends the Windows RTB by adding a Text property.  So when you are typing, you are typing in the Windows RTB.  There is no code that would slow down typing in the RTB, unless you are using UpdateSourceTrigger="PropertyChanged".